Find resources to help build an inclusive school community for students from different cultural, socioeconomic, and linguistic backgrounds and for children with unique instructional needs.
- In writing workshop, young students can learn about their classmates’ identities and share what makes their own backgrounds special.281
- Has the recent uptick in diverse characters in children’s literature translated into authentic representation? One team of researchers used artificial intelligence to investigate.
- When educators are intentional about teaching kids to see and represent differences, the students—and their works of art—blossom.2.3k
- The award-winning children’s book author on stories that are like friends you can turn to—and the importance of featuring characters who “share a common thread of humanity.”734
- A curated list of texts to guide students to explore Black history and practice a variety of writing moves at the same time.456
- In addition to recognizing the civil rights movement, teachers can use Black History Month to call attention to the achievements of Black Americans in other areas.472
- Identifying different layers of identity is particularly helpful for students transitioning into a new social and cultural context.334
- Middle school teacher Lorena Germán discusses the need for open, honest classroom discussions about the country’s history.1k
- In an excerpt from his book with fellow teacher Katie Hull Sypnieski, blogger Larry Ferlazzo looks at a few basic ways to reach students who are learning English as well as the subject at hand.20.1k
- How can teachers prepare for diverse classrooms? There isn't a definitive answer, but there is a wealth of resources online. Discover some helpful links for teachers.18.3k
- Ethnic Studies proponents say K-12 curriculum has remained largely Eurocentric and disconnected to the growing population of students of color in the U.S.
- When students learn about each other’s identities, it helps them understand their own biases and prejudices, as well as build a space of respect and tolerance for all.2.5k